Monday, February 4, 2013

Where to start.

I got my results back. Not good news. I called my OB for them last Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but because the OB hadn't reviewed them or signed off on them, they weren't able to release them. So I waited. Until Thursday. The conversation went something like this: 

Tech: All your hormone levels are in normal range. 

Me: Really?! Great! What are the numbers??


Tech: FSH is 28. 


Me: Wait.. what?! 8 weeks ago that number was 29 and you told me that was ‘elevated’. And isn’t that number supposed to be below 10??


Tech: uh… I’m gonna need to leave a note for the doctor. 


Me: What is my estrogen?


Tech: 15. 


Me: That number was 21 before and you said that was low. Now it’s 15?? How is that normal????


Tech: I’ll leave another note for the doctor.


Three days later and I'm still waiting to hear from that OB. 

I wasted no time on Thursday making an appointment with a different doctor. A GYN. She doesn't deliver babies but specializes in womens health issues. I was seeing her back in 2009 until I became pregnant with my son; she's honest and thorough. Just what I need. I think. I spent an hour with her this morning going over my history and recent labs. She fully agrees that my results are not "normal" and is very concerned. Being frank, these results suggest perimenopause and a rapid decline in fertility. Although she's sending me for additional tests, she says we need to take these results "very seriously", so serious, in fact, that we shouldn't waste anymore time preventing pregnancy. ::crickets::

Seriously?! I'm 32 years old!! My mother didn't go through menopause until her mid- 50's. My grandmothers were having babies into their 40s! I should have another 20 years before having to touch this subject! :( 

But here I am. Preparing myself to have the conversation of a lifetime with my husband. I'm terrified. I can already hear him saying, "I don't want another baby", "we can't afford another baby"... But here I am. On the clock. This might be our last chance.. if it already isn't too late. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home