Thursday, January 3, 2013

This is 2013.

Not quite how I pictured it. I certainly didn't picture myself still nursing the wounds of a lost pregnancy. And I definitely didn't see myself regularly seeing an Acupuncture Therapist to sync up an epically unbalanced hormonal system.

On New Year's Day, we went to the movies and saw This is 40. Lots of laughs. Just what the doctor ordered. Literally. One interesting part of the story though, was the references to Eastern Medicine. The lead female character believed in Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM (<-- more on that later) so much so that when her young daughter had an ear infection, her eastern medicine practitioner was the first one she called for help! Then you learn that TCM miraculously shrunk a large thyroid gland that had once promised infertility, and a pregnancy resulted. As sensitive as I am to pregnancy success stories, I appreciated the reference to Eastern Medicine and it's help in achieving a positive result. It makes me feel comforted and optimistic about my own reproductive future. 

Yesterday, I had my 6th session with Dr. E. At my 4th session, I arrived very emotional. I was on cycle day 38 with no signs that ovulation had occurred and no signs or symptoms that my period was coming; and no possibility of pregnancy. He comforted me, explained to me how he felt my chart and current status was a good thing, and said that he was going to place some 'extra' needles to 'jumpstart' my body into starting a period. That afternoon I had menstrual cramps, with a very heavy period starting at 1am the next morning!!

During our session, he also explained to me that my first period while under Acupuncture Therapy would be different that any period I've ever had. He told me to expect very heavy flow, rich dark red blood, clotting and maybe more pain. I'm soooo glad we had that talk because ALL of those things happened!! Heaviest period of my life! It was over in 4 days (opposed to the normal 7 days). Lots of clots and 'old' material. He described that flow to be cleansing, and I agree.

Yesterday's session was much more mellow. We're feeling optimistic about my chart this week. I have signs/symptoms that my body is preparing to ovulate. My waking temps are grouped nicely. Since the start of this new cycle, he prescribed I take a formula of Chinese herbs, they come in a vitamin called Maternal Health. He wouldn't tell me how the supplement may or may not affect the chart because he doesn't want me to obsess about it, which I can definitely appreciate. So now I'm just taking one day at a time. Each day awarding me with another data point unlocking the mystery to fixing a really fucked up game of 'telephone' between the major players of my reproductive system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home